http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7304592.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/575178.stm
These two websites outline the details of this real modern day witch hunt. The children of Congo, Africa are being used as scapegoats for their families and countries problems. Over 14, 000 children here have been thrown out of their homes after being accused of socery. Many of these children are often killed or forced to go through horifying exercisms.
These sites provide background information on the congo children's plight:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/15/world/africa/15witches.html
http://www.religionnewsblog.com/14220/dr-congo-children-increasingly-accused-of-sorcery-abused-and-abandoned
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
This is really sad, but it is a good example of a witch hunt. The fact that parents would blame and punish their children for their misfortune is absolutely insane. This is yet another example of how fear affects people. People in Congo are very misfortunate so parents as a last resort to solve their problems, blame, punish, and possibly even kill their own child. This is scary, brutal, and sad all at the same time.
This is a witch hunt. It's not the childrens fault for Africa's problems. The smarter people should really sit down and think about the problems. Just because the Congo area isn't the greatest doesn't mean that the children should be punished for it. The adults should get together and work out a solution to the problem.
If parents blame and punish their children for their misfortune maybe someone should maybe think the parents are witches. It's not the kids fault that Africa has so many diseases. They should probably wake up and realize that it isn't their childrens fault.
Holy crap!!! That is outrageous that parents would convince people that their children are wizzards and wtiches. I can see why these parents do it, though, they merely want to get rid of their children because there is possible shortage of food and other things.
I cant believe that this has happend. It is a def. a good example of a witch hunt. I cant believe their parents would blame these problems on their children. It shows that these people were trying to point their problems at someone and it ended up being the childern. This is very sad how a parent could do this to their own child.
Ya know, if a parent or anyone else can abuse a child by calling them a 'witch' with neglagence. Personally, I think they should be stabbed in the heart! No one has the right to be abused!
Maybe the stepmother felt like she was being stepped on...ya know, kinda like "Hansel and Gretal"? But it's really nerve-racking when parents turn on their children. I would understand the vice versa (read "1984" by George Orwell) but it's just horrible isn't it?
This is horrible! I really don't understand why these parents would make up stupid stories about their children being witches or being possessed. I read that they sometimes do this to get rid of the child so that they do not have to feed him/her. Still, why would parents punish and torture their own flesh and blood in horrifying ways like that? I definitely agree that this is a great example of a witch hunt.
I agree that this is a witch hunt. I feel so bad for those kids. It’s really depressing to read about this. Their parents are horrible because they tell lies about their own children and blame them for the hardships. Why did they have kids if they are just going to throw them out or kill them?
I can't imagine seeing kids out on the street becuase they were kicked out of their homes becuase they were accused of socery. It is crazy that the parents often accuse the children of this so they wouldn't have to feed them, don't they love their own flesh and blood? This is a good example of a witch hunt.
Wow! i can't believe this is a witch hunt. That is really sad. I don't think that the children in Africa should be punish for the problems in Africa. I just can't believe that the parents are accusing the kids. I think someone needs to go help the people in Africa and help sovle the problem.
This is a really good example of a witch hunt. I agree with shooter64 in the way that it is not the children's fault for Africa's problems. I also agree with becca because this is totally insane. I do not think this should be happening just because of poverty and/or other misfortunes. Jamie Werner
Great example of a witch hunt. How could parents do that? When their children are taken out of the home, wouldn't something click in the parents head? Wouldn't have an instinct to protect their children? The parents are seeming like the witches and should be the ones going through the horrifying events.
I think the parents would rather just blame something on their children than have to suffer the punishments themselves.
Great example of witch hunting though it is sad that it is happening to children.
This is really sad! I can't believe people would actually accuse children of socery. That is a really sick story.
Sad, but it is a good example of a witch hunt. I would hate to be a child there. Also how could you have your own child killed. And just because the idea that they were causing bad luck.
Africa in general is just a crap-tastic place. Witch hunt at its finest.
I love teddy's idea. stab them in the heart... sounds good to me.and crap tastic place sounds about right. I can't even imagine... my parents don't always LIKE me... but throwing me out on the street? very harsh.
Post a Comment