Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Japanese-American Internment Camps

This site goes in-depth into the story of Japanese-Americans that were put into American concentration camps during World War II. The site includes links to a report given to the government that clearly stated Japanese in America were not a significant risk and did not need to be placed in the camps. It also describes how the Japanese were treated in these camps, and has two individual experiences.
Also visit these sites for more information:
http://www.umass.edu/history/institute_dir/internment.html

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/internment1.html

http://americanhistory.si.edu/ourstoryinhistory/tryathome/activities_internment_more.html

20 comments:

Becca said...

While it is understandable that Americans would be sceptical of Japanese-Amercians, I do not believe it was a good idea to start the camps. It's hard to believe that a country that was founded on personal rights and freedom would start something like this. Japanese-Americans were pinpointed not because they committed a crime, but simply because of their ancestory. This is definitely a good example of a witch hunt.

shooter 64 said...

This is also a type of witch hunt. I don't think that the camps were necessary, they could have been sent to prisons to be interrogated and then let go. I thought America took the situation a bit too far. Just because the Japanese-Americans are different from us and had a bad ancestry...doesn't mean that they should be treated worse.

kate said...

Well, I don't really like Japanese people. Therefore I have little to comment about. This is a witch hunt.

wrestling125 said...

The whole camp idea maybe was uncalled for. Japanese-Americans didn't commit a crime yet but they might have because of there past. So they were just trying to be safe but she this is a witch hunt of coarse.

*frostyjoe* said...

This is also a type of witch hunt. I dont think the camps were needed, i cant believe this started over freedom and personal rights.

Thadd said...

During WWII I guess the idea of self-defense of was scary for Janpanese-Americans, especially in Hawaii. However, no one should be put away into anykind of 'jail' until proven guilty, which by the way, is our whole judiciary branch concept!

Anonymous said...

Of course it's a witchhunt! Americans couldn't trust the Japanese living there; who knew if they would turn on them at any given time? We didn't have the right to send them to the camps, but what else could we have done? If the American population felt frightened of them, something had to be done. But the camps? Bad idea there.

Schaff's Blog said...

This is another good example of a witch hunt. I definitely agree that these people were only imprisioned because they were of the same decent as the people we were fighting in the war.

Rach Waldo said...

Once again it’s a witch hunt because Americans were discriminating against the Japanese during the war. Some Japanese were citizens in America and we had no right to send them to prison camps. People thought they posed a threat against America. Why did they have to put them in prison camps? The government could’ve just questioned them to make sure they weren’t spies and that they supported America.

Emma said...

Some of my favorite stuff in history is learning about the concentration camps, but it is also some of the saddest. The Japanese-Americans were put into these camps because of where they came from and their ancestors. This is a form of a witch hunt.

Kristen Suchor said...

This is definitely a witch hunt. I think that it was wrong to put the Japanese in concentration camps, they were unneeded. Just because they look different and act different doesn't mean that the U.S. could put them in those camps.

trombone_girl2010 said...

This is another good example of a witch hunt. The Japenese-Americans were locked up just because the government thought that Japan were going to use them as inside attackers. There was way too much stereotyping and assuming going on during this time period.

Anonymous said...

I would want to have the Japanese people away from me in a war, especially if it was the Japanese we were fighting. But, the camps were not necessary. Just because it was against the Japanese, didn't mean that every Japanese person was a spy, or someone who was going to kill Americans. I'm sure that the US could have thought of a different way to protect America instead of the camps.

Crazeh said...

Definately a witch hunt, I don't see how people could be accused of a crime simply because of their parents/grandparents/you-get-my-point.

Good witch hung example, though.

Flint's owner said...

I agree with Becca this is definitely a witch hunt but it is also understandable that the US would be jumpy about the Japanese living in America the same as we would be today suspecting terrorists.

~Red Curls~ =] said...

I think this is a witch hunt. It's weird to think that something like this could happen in America not that long ago! I can see why they would be scared that some of the Japanese are spies, but to throw them all in camps is rediculous.

Archangel(Kenton) said...

Good example of witch hunt. used japenese as scapegoat by putting them in camps. This would satify the U.S. citizens but the act was entirely cruel.

Austin J. Whitley said...

Its funny because Japan bombed Pearl harbor, or something along those lines, which makes being a Japaneese-American really weird. Definate witch hunt.

Chaz said...

It's surprising to see the uncut deleted scenes pertaining to the Americans in WWII. Germany and we are not too different.

123Rage(oake) said...

Its crazy that America can resort to concentration camps just like Germany. I understad the hysteria, but it got way out of hand.